Real Simple's Pan-Roasted Chicken With Lemon-Garlic Green Beans
I've had this meal saved in my typed-up collection of recipes for quite awhile, and I finally got around to buying the necessary ingredients on Sunday. After reading the reviews, I decided to omit one of the two required lemons and instead just use the juice of one. According to the reviewers, the full strength of the lemons made the green beans quite bitter.
I ending up picking off every last green bean and potato from the pan, even the extreme crispy bits. Best of all? I typically always have about 90% of the ingredients on hand. All I'll usually need to pick up are potatoes and a lemon.
So, here is the recipe in all its glory. Hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we did!
Pan-Roasted Chicken With Lemon-Garlic Green Beans
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 15m | Total Time: 1hr 15m
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced, 1 juiced (**I used just the juice of one)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound trimmed green beans
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 4 chicken breasts (bones left in, with skin, about 3 1/4 pounds) (**I used boneless chicken breasts)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large baking dish or cast-iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Arrange the lemon slices in a single layer in the bottom of the dish or skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper; add the green beans and toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the green beans and arrange them on top of the lemon slices. Add the potatoes to the same olive-oil mixture and toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, arrange the potatoes along the inside edge of the dish or skillet on top of the green beans. Place the chicken in the same bowl with the olive-oil mixture and coat thoroughly. Place the chicken, skin-side up, in the dish or skillet. Pour any of the remaining olive-oil mixture over the chicken.
- Roast for 50 minutes. Remove the chicken from the dish or skillet. Place the beans and potatoes back in oven for 10 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender. Place a chicken breast on each of 4 serving plates; divide the green beans and potatoes equally. Serve warm.